How to Apply
Our application is completely online, easy to complete, and processed quickly.
International Student Information
Click here for information for international students who go to school outside the US, including information about our J-1 visa program.
You'll be a great applicant if:
- You are a sophomore or above at an accredited college or university when you want to come to DC. You can be a recent graduate if you've had your bachelor's degree less than a year before you start the program.
- You have higher than a 2.75 GPA. We may consider you if your GPA is lower.
- You have already talked about finances and credit with your faculty adviser, Washington Internship Institute campus liaison, and your family. (if applicable)
- Go to the student log-in page of WII Link. Under the "Register" heading, click "Apply Online."
- Read the online application instructions and complete all fields.
- After submitting the online application, you will receive an automated email requesting that you verify your email address. Then you will receive an email that acknowledges receipt of your online application and provides instructions for logging in to WII Link. (If you don't receive an email immediately, please check your spam box.)
- Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Once you have received access to WII Link, upload an unofficial transcript of all college work and your resume. To ensure that you receive a timely decision, we encourage you to upload your documents immediately when prompted by the Washington Internship Institute.
After you have completed the steps above, we will review your application and notify you of our decision via email within one week.
We encourage you to apply prior to the deadline to allow for the greatest range of placement options. Applying early is essential if you are interested in high-profile organizations, if you are a journalism student, or if you want to intern in certain government agencies. Visit our Deadlines and Program Dates page to learn about the best time to apply, or contact us if you have any questions.