Saint Xavier University in Chicago, IL
Spring 2014 intern with the Office of Legislative and Congressional Affairs in the Department of Education
What was your main responsibility at your internship?
Attended Congressional hearings, markups, meetings, briefings and events both within and outside the Department on matters of federal education policy interest and wrote reports to summarize those events.
- Assisted staff with preparation for hearings, briefings, meetings, processing casework inquiries, and ongoing Congressional outreach
- Edited Congressional databases, Congressional biographies and legislative education contacts
- Competed presentations on how to apply for grants for congressional staff
- Preformed researched on Pre-School programs, Head Started, Ranking System, and loan services
- Occasionally performed various administrative tasks and other duties as assigned, including Hill runs and helping with phones when necessary
How has your internship helped you?
Assisted me to see how much I can do with my degree. Helped me learn how a federal department works with Congress.
What was the most important thing you gained from your experience in Washington, DC?
You have to go out into the workforce willing to work early and late hours in order to make a difference.