For Internship Hosts
“Your program is wonderful. We've had nothing but fantastic interns from the Washington Internship Institute and hope to continue getting them in the future." -- US Department of Commerce
Thank you for your interest in hosting an intern from the Washington Internship Institute. Our students are among the best and the brightest from across the country and around the world. They represent many different fields, including political science, international relations, communications, business, marketing, and more.
For detailed information about our students, the placement process, internship criteria, helpful hints, checklists, and other topics, please download our Internship Host Handbook (PDF). Highlights are provided below.
Announce an Internship
If you would like to host students from the Washington Internship Institute, please send your internship description(s) to email@example.com.
- Our students intern four full days per week for 15 weeks in the fall and spring and 10 weeks in the summer. One day per week, they take classes.
- Most of our students are juniors and seniors in college. We also work with recent graduates and the occasional sophomore or graduate student.
- The Washington Internship Institute does not charge organizations a fee for hosting an intern. Your organization decides whether the internship will be paid or unpaid. (Information about the Fair Labor Standards Act and paid versus unpaid internships can be found on the Department of Labor’s website.)
- Substantive responsibilities are essential, since most students receive college credit. No more than 20% of the intern’s time should be spent on clerical work.
- Locations that are easily accessible via public transportation are strongly preferred.
- Workspace in your office is required: i.e., we do not arrange telecommuting internships.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 833-8580.